- Recollections of Our Past
- The Schuylkill Township Historical Commission would like to introduce residents to some of the important historic resources in our community. We believe the more we know about the places in our community and the roles they have played and continue to play in our everyday life, the more we will assume the responsibility to appreciate and protect them. The people who built and/or owned them and the place they play in history combine to give us all a sense of place in our community.
- Historic Surveys
- Historic Surveys--schools and barns. The Schuylkill Township Historical Commission will be participating
in two historic surveys for the Commonwealth
of Pennsylvania. More information >>>
- Oral Histories
Schuylkill Township is much more than a beautiful landscape, fine buildings, and lovely homes. It is people - wonderful, dynamic people. The purpose of the Oral History Project of the Historical Commission of Schuylkill Township is to capture the voices of our people.
Some residents have lived in the township for sixty years, or even more. Our people have wonderful stories to tell about the little school buildings that dotted the area, the history of the post office, the horse shows at the fire station. Swimming in Valley Creek and ice skating at Ewings Pond were part of the summer and winter scene. There was a trolley that ran down Valley Park Road, and a little mining train that come over Mount Misery. Who would know about all this without people telling their stories?
The oral history interviews focus on pre-selected topics and are recorded on audio tape. The transcript of the tape is reviewed for accuracy, revised, and printed. A copy of the transcription is in the files of the Historical Commission. These transcripts are available below in PDF format.
If you like to share your story about Schuylkill Township, contact the Schuylkill Township office to get in touch with the Historical Commission and Nancy Loane, who heads the Oral History Project.
- Transcripts in PDF format:
- Joanne C. Brown
- Helen Davis Debus - 2005 interview
- Helen Davis Debus - 2012 interview
- Herman John and Virginia John
- Dr. John Lukacs
- Helen McAleer
- Anita Packard Montgomery and Parker Packard
- Articles on Township History
- A Brief History of Schuylkill Township, written by Sandy Momyer.
- Over the past several years, the township newsletter has printed occasional articles on the history of Schuylkill Township. These articles are reprinted below in PDF format:
- The Valley Forge General Hospital
- Valley Forge before George Washington
- The Anderson Cemetery on Valley Park Road
- The Trolley Park at Valley Forge
- The Pickering Reservoir
- The Population History of Schuylkill Township
- A Brief History of the Corner Stores
- The Old Pickering Schoolhouse
- Schuylkill School
- Complete set of articles (One file, 1.05 MB).
- Other Historical Links
- The Amusement Park on the Trolley Line -- Article from Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
- Valley Forge National Historical Park
- Valley Forge Park Web Site
- Historic Valley Forge
- Continental Chronicle - Newsletter of Friends of Valley Forge Park