Environmental Advisory Council
MEETING DATE: September 27, 2016
EAC Members: Earl Cram, Michelle Garg, Steve Kunz, Mary Ellen Heisey, Tom Heisey, Jerry O’Dell & Michael Roscoe.
Board of Supervisors (BOS): Martha Majewski, Jim Morrisson and Fred Perry
Public Participation: Paul Kusko
Meeting called to order at 7:30pm. Meeting adjourned at 9:42pm.
- EAC Meeting Summary Approval
- The meeting summary of the August 2016 meeting was read and approved.
- Mr. O’Dell announced Great American Cleanup, Oct. 29, 8-10am, Valley Forge Fire Company.
- Mr. O’Dell announced Founder’s day on November 5, 2016 @ 11am at Phoenixville CC.
- Ms. Majewski announced the next newsletter deadline is Friday, 30Sep2016.
- Mr. Morrisson announced that the Open Space Commission will hire a legal consultant for review of the proposals.
Reports/Updates on Ongoing Business
- Paul Kusko is a member of the Phoenixville Green Team. He invited the EAC to attend the Phoenixville Regional Planning Committee meeting to be held on 28Sep2016 at 7:30pm at the township building to present their plans to connect trails and the Schuylkill River.
- He mentioned that the borough is working to treat the ash trees for Emerald Ash bore. He suggested that we provide information for our residents about how to treat Emerald Ash bore.
- Chester County Master Watershed Steward Training program -
- Environmental Resources Inventory (ERI) -
- Mr. Kunz announced that the narratives are nearly finished. A draft should be available for the next EAC meeting.
- Pickering Preserve -
- Mr. O’Dell announced that PennDOT is complete and no longer using the preserve as a staging area.
- Mr. O’Dell discussed with the EAC the options for additional weeding and plantings. This was added to the budget.
- Ms. Majewski announced that she was approached by “Bee Positive Honey” because they would like to use the preserve for an educational & promotional event.
- Butterfly Garden-
- Ms. Majewski announced that the Bee Positive Honey would like to use the garden for an educational event to promote pollinators.
- Mr. O’Dell announced that Ms. Ng would like another project for the Third Grade Green Team next year.
- Project of unnamed streams -
- Trails -
- Mr. Roscoe announce that the EAC will present the draft Multi-Modal map at the October Planning Commission meeting.
- Valley Park -
- Mr. O’Dell announced the phragmites will be sprayed while in bloom for fullest effect. It needs to be complete before the first frost.
- Mr. Morrisson announced that bow hunting signs will be posted in Valley Park and Pickering Preserve.
- Medal of Honor Grove -
- Mr. O’Dell announced that Ms. Majewski, Mr. Kunz, and Mr. & Mrs. O’Dell completed the fall clean-up on 17Sep2016.
- Great American Cleanup
- See above under announcements.
- Nolen Property on Pawling’s Road
- Pohlig Builders - Reeves Property/Planned Residential Development (PRDO)
- The University of Valley Forge Conference Center
- Mr. O’Dell announced he attended the last planning commission meeting. Endeavor Co. presented the second development plan. Their proposal consists of 39 townhomes, 6 apartment buildings and 34 carriage homes. This area is currently zoned as R1.
- Mr. O’Dell announced he would like to motion that the EAC recommend to the BOS that the zoning not be changed from R1.
- Chester County Intermediate Unit at the Technical College High School
- EAC would like to include funding for the below items for a total of $9,000.
- Ongoing Projects = $5,500
- Mulch for butterfly and rain gardens = $500
- Additional Plantings: Butterfly Garden, Pickering Preserve = $1,500
- Renewal of Bird Town subscription = $500
- Signage for rain garden = $2000
- Legal consultation fees = $1000
- Adopt a Highway
- New projects = $3,500
- Native plantings (Treevitalize & riparian buffers) = $1000
- Bee Positive Pollinator event at the butterfly garden = $500
- Guest Speakers = $1000
- Workshops/conferences = $1000