Environmental Advisory Council
MEETING DATE: January 26, 2016
EAC Members: Earl Cram, Michelle Garg, Mary Ellen Heisey, Steve Kunz, Jerry O’Dell & Mike Roscoe.
Board of Supervisors (BOS): Jim Morrisson & Martha Majewski
Public participation: Angie Ng.
Meeting called to order at 7:30pm. Meeting adjourned at 9:00pm.
- EAC Meeting Summary Approval
Announcements- All made by J. O’Dell.
- The meeting summary of the December 2015 meeting was read and approved.
Reports/Updates on Ongoing Business
- Public Meeting: Sidewalk Feasibility Study Committee: Feb. 2nd, 4:00 – 7:00 pm.
- Public Meeting: Freedom Trail Feasibility Study Committee – Feb. 10th, 7:00 pm.
- Nomination submitted to CCATO Growing Greener Community Award for the Butterfly Garden at Pickering Preserve.
- EAC to present at the annual Township Meeting at the Phoenixville Country Club, March 24th.
- Deadline: Newsletter article for spring newsletter is 29Jan2016.
- Great American Clean-up day in April will be included in letter.
- Native plants article to be included.
- Bird Town -
- Ms. Heisey announced the annual meeting is TBD.
- Ms. Heisey announced great backyard bird count held 12Feb through15Feb.
- Ms. Majewski announced that there are no more WREN grants to use for the rain garden signs. However, she plans to submit for a grant from PA conservation district.
- Environmental Resources Inventory (ERI) -
- Pickering Creek Re-designation Evaluation -
- Mr. Kunz reviewed the history of the stream designated to HQ (high quality) and the information added to the letter to DEP requesting the creek and surrounding tributaries/wetlands be classified as EV (Exceptional Value).
- Pickering Preserve -
- Mr. O’Dell announced limited parking is available at the preserve due to it being used by Penn DOT.
- Mr. O’Dell announced that he and Ms. Majewski submitted the Butterfly Garden project for the Growing Greener Award - See above under announcements.
- Trails -
- See above under announcements.
- Valley Park -
- Mr. O’Dell announced the Trolley Station subcommittee meeting was held on 22Jan2016.
- Engineering plan is in development. It is based on the concept plan.
- Mr. O’Dell plans to cut back the invasive phragmites and cattails as early as February.
- Medal of Honor Grove -
- Mr. O’Dell will develop a list/schedule of work needed at the Grove to for review at the February EAC meeting.
- Nolen Property on Pawling’s Road
- Pohlig Builders - Reeves Property/Planned Residential Development (PRDO)
- The University of Valley Forge Conference Center- Harmony Village at Valley Forge
- EAC Reorganization
- Confirmed desired renewals of terms for: M. Garg, M. Heisey, M. Roscoe.
- Mr. O’Dell will remain as Chair, Ms. Garg as Secretary.
- Thank you, Lorri Sarosy, for your EAC contributions.
- Alternate Position Open.
- 2016 EAC workshops
- Mr. O’Dell to discus with Township Manager and Secretary options to develop an EAC survey to poll residents for what they would like included in an environmental workshop.
- 2016 EAC meeting
- EAC will extend an invitation to other Schuylkill Township commission members to attend an EAC meeting next year.
- EAC Presentation Agenda: March 24th Phoenixville CC Meeting.
- Potential topics include: Intro & Valley Park (JO), Birdtown/Raingarden/Butterfly Garden (MEH), ERI/Riparian buffers (SK), Trails (MR), Medal of Honor Grove (JO), and Great American Clean up date, survey attendees for possible EAC township workshop.
- New Business
- Chester County Master Watershed Stewardship
- Mr. Cram reviewed program details. Applications can be submitted on 01Feb2016 and classes begin in March.